Thread: Cleaning hints
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
Anyone else have a glasstop stove? Man that thing is a pain in the ass to clean. I have some stovetop cleaner stuff from Canadian Tire and a razor blade scraper to clean it, but it still takes a bit of elbow grease to get that thing clean. Anyone have a better way?

Geez, what are you doing? you must be letting things boil over and letting them bake on. First and foremost, if something does spill over, clean it immediately before it does bake on.

I have an induction unit, glass ceramic top, does not work the same way as radiant cooktops with ceramic tops though. Anyhow, I RARELY ever have to use anything other than a hot wet dishcloth that is sudsy with soap but if you do want a cleaner, this is what came with mine. In the year that I have had my cooktop, I have only used it twice, and both times, a wee little drop that I gently rubbed with a cloth to remove the spot that I could not remove with normal cleaning.

It is called simply Glass Cook Top Cleaner by Weiman, it is supposed to be the original cooktop cleaner, in a white plastic bottle, about the size of the Jet Dry stuff for dishwashers.

Anyhow, with any cooktop unit, foresight is easier to take care of than hindsight. Wipe spills, splashes and splatters immediately with warm or hot cloth that is sudsy, helps cut the grease and grime. By sudsy, I mean normal dish detergent that you would use to handwash dishes, like Joy, Palmolive, whatever.

I always do this to clean my current or past cooktops. First , warm sudsy dishcloth, not wrung out good, quite a bit of water in it. Wipe cooktop and let soak a minute or two. Now rinse the dishcloth out and wring dry, wipe off sudsy stuff. Repeat if necessary. Now to finish off for a nice shine, rinse that dishcloth thoroughly in hot water to remove all soap, wring out as much water as you can and wipe the cleaned cooktop down, once or twice, depending on how much grease or grime was previously on there.

Here is the easiest hint to stop things like pasta, potatoes etc from boiling over. Add a teaspoon of butter or oil to the water. Butter works better, but oil is not bad. And once things come to a boil, turn them down immediately. Most things only require top heat to bring to a boil, then you can turn down the heat and cook at some other desired setting.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/30...ok-Top-Cleaner

Last edited by redforever; 10-13-2007 at 04:44 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote