Thread: Star Wars
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #24
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
To me it felt like a loss of control in the second movie.

They established a lot in the first movie in terms of setting up the background

Rey - waiting for her family and putting a huge emphasis on it. I'm waiting for my family, I have to go back in case they show up. Then they basically poop canned it in that bizarre scene in the cave, followed up by the whole, you're parents are nobodies, they're drunks who sold you. I mean I'm sure that they could try to repair it in the next movie, but simply saying that the Cave and Kylo lied would be looked upon badly.

Snoke - Built him as a big bad, powerful, smart, he seduced Kylo over to the darkside, and rose to become the leader of the first order. Then in the second movie they started with him slinging around Rey like an empty pizza box. But his death was so unsatisfying and he looked silly in dying, and then to add insult to it, they tried to make it funny when Hux found his body.

Kylo - Personality confusion to say the least. He went from a pouty teenager, to a man on a mission to end the past, then reverted back to the pouty teenager all in one movie.

The Rose Finn storyline - Just seemed so unnecessary.

Finally - the opening scene with the forced humor, was literally worse then Lucas' fart jokes in Phantom Menace. It was awkward and stupid and made Hux look like a moron and it pulled me right out of the movie right there, I thought I was watching a Robot Chicken skit.

I don't know what the solution is, do you try to fix it? I think that would make the movie a confusing mess. Or do you ignore most of the events of 8 and just plow on, finish the trilogy as best you can and then write off all of the characters in that movie never to be seen again?
TLJ was basically poking fun at Star Wars and Star Wars fans. They attempted to apply the Thor:Ragnorok humour to the Star Wars universe. Part of that was doing away with all the story lines and mysteries that the previous movie had created.

They really missed on how most Star Wars fans view the SW universe though. The movies also act as a jumping point for theories, expanded content, and universe building. TLJ did away with all of that.

As far as I can tell there was no clear plan for movie #3. Once again, baffling to me that they would create a trilogy and allow multiple directors/writers to go in entirely different directions with the two movies.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote