View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #11893
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Didn’t Darryl also pronounce this team as strong down the middle when he was hired? If practice was any indication, I think we may see Sean Monahan now playing wing to Derek Ryan tomorrow.

He also said he thinks this team was good enough to not only be a playoff team, but good in the playoffs as well.

My point is, he thought there was a lot of good pieces on this team and on paper that certainly appears to be the case, but in actuality, this team is flawed up and down the line up. Goaltending was supposed to be a strength, it has not been a strength. This team’s defense is supposedly elite going into every season, but the team’s #1 defenseman is still Mark Giordano who’s soon to be 38 in October. The forward depth was going to be great this season with the way everyone slotted, but this is still just a one line team that’s being outscored by the rebuilding Ottawa freaking Senators.

I really don’t think Darryl knew exactly what he was getting himself into when he signed up for the job. But I also think Darryl has learned a lot though about what’s wrong with this roster and at the very least, that’s a positive. The first step is always recognizing that there’s a problem and that’s abundantly clear now.
I find this hard to believe. I think he had a pretty good idea what he was getting into. Certainly more than the people on this forum.

I think what has happened is Sutter, and the Flames, knew full well that making the playoffs was a long shot at the time of his hire. I also think, in large part, Sutter was brought in to help determine who is going to stay and who is going to leave. This has been his window to ‘see what he has’. I don’t think Sutter came out of retirement to coach a rebuilding team, and I do think he sees something in this team that he believes he can win with.

Should be an interesting offseason.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post: