View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #11891
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I really don't think Sutter is a coach that works badly with young guys at all.

In fact, he probably motivates young players to take care of the details of the game better than any coach in the game today outside of maybe Quenneville and Trotz.

The problem is he's exactly what the Flames needed 2 seasons ago, and now we're kind of late in the game for this group.

If he can squeeze a SCF out of Iggy and a group of misfits though, anything is still possible even if we tear down the core.
I actually don’t hate Darryl’s tough love approach with young players either, I think it forces them to learn quicker and adapt. Although a lot of others may disagree as the benching, scratching and public criticism could be counter productive. At the end of the day though, I’m not even sure myself if there’s a right or wrong answer because we don’t know how this will affect the young kids in the long term, so it’s a tough question to answer.

I’ll I can say is that I do see the motivation though. Darryl’s job is about winning and in the last few weeks with games on the line, we’ve seen a lot of brutal mistakes and turnovers from a lot of the younger kids. Heck, just off the top of my head, the last Ottawa game and Wednesday’s Jets game was basically lost due to turnovers by all young players on this team. So I can definitely see where Darryl is coming from.