View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #11889
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Feel like future Hall of Famers like Kopitar and Doughty would’ve been great players regardless of who coached them and what system they played.

For the record, I don’t think Darryl hates young players or is against developing them, especially if those young players are good right out the gate. But I think there’s some non negotiables in Darryl’s coaching method such as pace of play, defensive coverage and mistakes and these just happen to be a few things young players tend to struggle with at the NHL level.

.... And unfortunately for the Flames, a lot of our young kids have been guilty of a lot of these things since Darryl came aboard and that’s probably why they’ve spent time stapled to the bench and up in the press box. I certainly don’t blame Darryl either, his job is to win games and in quite a few must win games, it’s been a lot of the younger guys who’ve flubbed passes or made costly errors that have cost the team dearly. I think you can even see it in Juuso Valimaki who has broken his stick and looked up to the skies when his turnovers end up in the back of his net, as if he’s deathly afraid of eating popcorn up in the rafters the next game.
Sutter seems to give Valimaki a lot of rope IMO. Dube not so much.