View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #1682
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Hey Capt, thanks for bringing attention to that smoking skull sessions with Bret Hart as the guest. I finally got around to watching it based on your suggestion.

While I knew Austin appreciated Hart putting him over, I never knew how far that respect went and the amount of credit Austin had for Hart for the birth of SCSA

And holy crap...that burial of Goldberg. I had this playing while I was washing dishes and when Bret said “Goldberg to me was one of the most unprofessional wrestlers there ever was in the business. For Bill Goldberg to be in the Hall of Fame... he hurt everybody he worked with”, My jaw just dropped in shock from what he said. I couldn’t believe that actually made it past the editing and aired, especially with Goldberg being an active wrestler and headlining WM as universal champ.

I also liked how Austin and Hart watched their match in detail and explained everything through. I always figure his interviews were just based on the guest’s careers but getting to see some insight from the wrestlers’ POV was interesting

Hopefully they’ll have Bret on the show again

Where they showed Bret helping Austin bleed in that fight was an example of the artistry of what Bret could do. That promo that he did where he dropped all of the swearing bombs was brilliant.

Bret gets seriously under rated for his work on the mic. That promo, the reunion of the Hart Foundation, Pittsburgh is a toilet were all great promos.

I know in several interviews that Goldberg has expressed extreme regret for the mule kick. But the fact of the matter is that he was rushed through the performance center and into the ring way before he was ready and was never worked with to improve his work.

But if you want to see a damning testimony about Goldberg, it was in Jericho's book where he talked about his feud with Goldberg where he stated that Bill didn't understand the business, believed his own BS and actually didn't care for the business and demanded an end to the angle between him and Jericho because nobody would believe that Jericho could beat Bill. In otherwords Goldberg was a huge Mark for himself.

I know that Goldberg has changed a bit, but he's still sloppy in the ring to the point where he damned near killed himself and Undertaker in Saudi Arabia.

That whole Bret interview was exceptional, especially how he described his encounter with Vince in Montreal where he thought about attacking Vince while he was naked and then decided not to because it would be way to absurd.

The biggest take away, and its been known for a while is that Austin really has a lot of respect for Bret and believes that Bret made him and propelled him into the stratosphere career wise.

I also believe that Bret is not only one of the best workers in the business, but one of the best story tellers that's ever existed in the business. While I admire what Michael's can do in the ring and a lot of his character stuff, Bret was just plain better, not as flashy but better, Sean though was better on the mic.

Oh and there's this narration that Bret didn't draw as a champion. He certainly drew well in Europe and Canada. The question is did he draw in the US. The answer that he didn't draw that well in the states, however he was the face of the WWE during the start of the Monday Night Wars when audiences were split and the WWE overall was at a low point all over the map. But he did open markets that the WWE didn't have at the time.

Sean Michael's didn't draw that well during the Monday Night Wars, nor did Diesel. The guys that did draw like Stone Cold did because they were new and fresh and a generational change from the tried and true heel face formula.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote