View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I love my 2013 Tacoma, I plan on keeping it as long as it keeps driving.

TRD is nice if you dont want to do any modifications to the truck (beyond tires), if you plan on installing a lift or any modifications to suspension I would stick with the SR5.

Buy it in a manual transmission if you can drive stick. You do lose some of the off-roading features that a AT has but in return you get fun of driving a 6 speed Truck (RACE TRUCK)

I went through Henninger, they still do lifetime oil changes (the catch being you have to do your regular maintenance through them). I have / had very good experiences with them.

These things are so fun to drive in snow / mud / dirt yet are very driveable in the city. Its crazy how capable they are straight from the factory.

The 3rd party aftermarket parts for the Tacoma is HUGE. You can upgrade nearly everything if you should so choose.

Few primary upgrades to consider:

- All-terrain Tires: The stock tires are All-seasons which will likely not meet your needs. All-Terrains are great as they are winter rated tires that you can run year round in snow, ice, mud, dirt, ect... This would be the one recommendation that I say is a must if you want to enjoy what the Taco does best

- Winch Plate / Winch Bumper + winch: If you do plan on going down any off-road trails to access outdoor activities and plan on doing them alone a winch is very good idea. I've used mine to pull myself out of some very stupid decisions (yeah i can drive through that....)

- Lift kit: If you do go off-roading more and more you may want one of these. You should only be looking at suspension lifts in the range of 1.5-3". Remember the only true lift for additional clearance is size of your tires (which require suspension lifts to ensure that they fit). Dont bother with body lifts as they are just for show, and negatively effect the performance of the truck.

- Skids Plates / rear steel bumper: Only get these if you plan on doing serious rock crawling / off-roading. If you are just off-roading on dirt trails you should be fine with the truck as is.