View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #1408
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pacific looks to be all in with the announcement that they're building a new indoor fieldhouse. Forge, Valour and Halifax are all drawing well and Edmonton's owner is too stubborn to bail on this project after 9 years. I think York is the only real question mark right now, but their ownership has the money to see this through if they can build up a fanbase.

For what it's worth, the CPL is drawing more fans on average (4835) than USL Championship (4399).

I don't think the Ottawa Fury will ever join the CPL. That relationship is beyond repair after the Fury refused to go to CPL and CONCACAF pulled their sanctioning. CPL wants an Ottawa club but it would have to be a new one. As long as Julian de Guzman is in charge in Ottawa there is no chance of the relationship getting better.

As for expansion, I've heard Saskatoon will likely be in for 2021 as they've drawn well during their SK summer series, which was done to test the market. I've also heard Kitchener-Waterloo is in as soon as they get a stadium, although that's a pretty big obstacle. And there is the constant talk of clubs in Quebec.

I would be happy with 8 clubs in 2020 and 10 in 2021 with none of the existing 7 folding. That would be pretty stable for the sport in this country.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post: