View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If your using a Mac could you not get hold of a copy of Garageband, i thought it came free with all macs/idaps nowadays. Maybe you can download from the apple site or something (sorry i am a PC user).

Garageband should enable you to try out a few ideas before you shell out some heavy dollars for a proper DAW (Digital Audio workstation) like Logic pro. If you are going to shell out i would recommend you try a few different programmes first. Whilst they all work in essentially the same way they can have a different work flow feel to them, what works for one doesn't work for someone else.

A Midi controller isn't essential unless you are planning on having some hardware like a keyboard or mixer etc. If the sound card you have has inputs you can feed that into whatever programme you end up using. If you want to spend some money on hardware make your first purchase a decent set of speakers before anything else. Computer or hifi speakers will onyl get you so far and are designed to make your music sound good. A proper set of music producing speaker are eq'd flat and will show your music warts and all, allowing you to hear where adjustments are neccesary.

Regarding sound banks, any DAW you choose should come with a selection to start you off but there are a lot of websites out there that give away a selection when you sign up for their email list, I also get a lot of mine off computer music magazines.

I am no expert, by along way, but I am happy to help where I can with any other questions.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post: