View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #180
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
It’s more a warning. PA won’t have a leg to stand on no, but can advise players to avoid the Blue Jays because their execs are unthruthful and slimy.
For whatever it’s worth, which is nothing, but still won’t look good on those two.

Back to the Harper thing, sound like the Jays made a basic, token inquiry to Harpers agent, likely when checking on other Boras clients. They had as much desire to sign him as they do me.
These two guys are not here to spend, they never were and never will. Even it’s for a franchise player in the prime of his career.

AA almost seemingly signed a “ let me get Price and I’ll quit at the end of the season” contract with Rogers, which is the only way Rogers allowed the moves that AA made the last two seasons of his tenure, to go through.

Rolling out Shapiro before AA was gone, awkwardness softened as the Jays focus was the impending post season, goes to show just how stubborn Rogers is ever going to be.

They’re putting all the chips on Bichette and Vladimir, hoping to put a bit of a team around them so they get more then 12k fans per game, hopefully flip the Norris’ and like, at the deadline for more young assets. Rinse and repeat and hope that someone or a handful of random guys come through with career seasons all at the same time..

But commit and spend for a franchise player, when Harper will be contracted 6 or more years longer than those guys are in the Jays office? No way.

I suspect the same strategy for Rogers, but I can't agree with the last paragraph. The Jays cannot afford to sign a player like Harper - it was absolutely screw the rest of the team as the pay structure would become top heavy. Plus a 13 year contract as we all know, is crippling. I have no problem with them pursuing Harper or anyone else who is demanding a contract greater than 6 years, especially at a premium price. And I don't feel bad about it as 80% of the league can't afford that contract given the tv contracts most franchises don't have (or gate revenue). Makes sense for them to sign two really good guys at that price rather than 1 franchise guy, IMO.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote