View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #689
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question: Why is Backlund always penciled in at the number two slot?

I really don’t understand the logic behind it as the second line should be about generating offense. I see Backlund as a great third line center playing in a shutdown down role and chipping in 30-35 points a season from that position. On the second line, I see him holding players back more than making them better. He isn’t a great distributor of the puck and he isn’t overly creative. He hustles and plays a great north-south game, but he isn’t a classic scoring center. I could see a possible Selke candidate, but only if he was relied upon to focus on the defensive side of the puck and allow the offense to come on its own. I see him more of a square peg on the 2nd line.

I think the 2nd line center role is ultimately more about Tkachuk than it is about anything. If Tkachuk gets saddled with a north-south center he’s going to top out as a 50 point player. Get him a guy that can create open ice and make some plays, and Tkachuk is going to thrive and become a big time scorer. I don’t think Backlund is a good fit there.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: