View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #51
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyEra View Post
Smid has been one of the most consistent defenseman this year, its a shame hes not getting regular minutes because he is one guy I see actually take the body and remove guys from the puck physically. Makes the smart/simple play, uses the glass when hes hemmed in, avoids high risk outlets, ect.
Hamilton has become more comfortable in finishing his checks but Smid punishes guys whenever he has an opportunity.
Defensively I've been most impressed by him. I would definitely like to see him paired with Hamilton to give them a solid look, the veteran presence wouldn't hurt either.
This is truth. Couldn't have explained it better myself. Smid actually physically takes guys off pucks. The rest of our D just lay the odd check but otherwise shove at players numbers and try to poke the puck away which doesn't work on >6' forwards that can protect it. Smid actually has the stay at home defensive game down, was our best D yesterday start to finish and Bob is pulling him out.... the coach is defining insanity right now.

Smid is definitely capable of playing on the second pairing. While he won't provide offense, at least he can be relied on to do the job in his own end. Too bad it won't happen.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScorchyScorch For This Useful Post: