View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #1481
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So the actress that played Robot Girl, was repurposed to play Lt Nilsson (amazed they give her a name). She wanders around the bridge, yet we have no idea about her. Just like the lady that's at the navigation station, or Detner, or the weird looking weapons guy or comms guy. These people all clearly have bridge experience and operations experience. But Saru made Tilly the XO because she's plucky, or the concience of the crew or whatever. And she made terrible mistakes and surrender command of the vessel mid combat. In other words she did not fight the ship. That decision alone should have been a big black mark in Saru's record. The sad thing is, I like Saru, Doug Jones is great, but they spent all of season three making him look like a bumbling unsure Captain, who's only memorable thing was coming up with a stupid catchphrase. Then having him leave at the end to go raise the Burn baby.

Its funny, because when you watch Orville which really recycles a lot of Star Trek story lines, and they have a serious slant and then realize what they are and insert dick jokes at weird times. With Tilly, they have her do some science stuff, and then she drops F bombs or weird high fives at places that just don't really work. So its almost like they realize they have to give her some character, so they look back on the script and drop a few random quirks into the script.

Don't get me wrong, I was glad they got rid of an untrained, engineering officer with no tactical or combat skills at all as Captain, but that lasted about 8 seconds when she basically said "Michael you need to be Captain because you're the bomb.com (paraphrasing).

I kind of get where they were going plot wise last year, and in the first half of the season, they did it decently. Then I think they panicked and dropped a lot of details that they had worked to established. Wrote themselves into a corner on the burn, because they wanted to make it a shock, so they came up with the burn baby. Dropped a bunch of character archs and then threw in some F-bombs.

What they need to do next year, is declare it the last season, and either decide if they go back to the past to deal with the Klingons (Remember the D-7 reveal to shocks and whispers, and then they dropped it). Or somehow make them relevant in the future. But most of all, I think they need to thin down the herd of producers from like 50 to a few, get one of two writers and thin the crew down.

Oh and on the first shot of next year have a torpedo hit the bridge killing off Tilly and Michael and the rest of the furniture.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: