View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #36
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
If he wasn't willing to do it he should have not gotten his full paycheque to walk. He was under contract... Jay's should have tried him out for a couple months and seen if his bat is still there. He's never gonna play short again but why let someone else roll the dice on him for nothing. He was an amazing hitter and even at 70% he would add value off the bench.

I know I am in the minority... Just don't get this move - I don't see anything of value for the Jays in it.
The value for the Jays is in opening up a roster spot for a younger player. If they didn't feel Tulo would contribute much this year or next and they aren't planning to be contenders then their best option very well could be to just move on.

Best case scenario if they kept him was that he'd come back strong, establish some value and maybe open up a trade where the Jays still swallowed almost all of his contract. Worst case was that he comes back, doesn't play well enough to earn a starting job and he ends up a very expensive bench player that takes at bats away from prospects.

I'm disappointed with this ending - I've got a Tulo Jays jersey and still had hope that he'd get healthy and contribute - but I understand why the Jays made the move.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote