View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #68
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
You could make the case though that the model that shuts that down will definitely be replicated years and years after though, and we saw first-hand how futile your weapons can be when they're off or well-defended. I don't think there are enough guys that can reliably give you that for every team to work to that model - nor are they easy to get.

The model is definitely good and proven. But I think that unless you can get a Bergeron, Krejci or Binnington the alternative is to shut down the teams that do. Of course, if you develop something close to a proven model that works you go for it. St. Louis, with all the depth they have, wouldn't be anywhere if Binnington didn't show up in January and give them a chance each night.

But for all the models, I see 2 teams with leadership and a drive to get them where they are. Once the more motivated team in Columbus took out Boston's biggest threat, it was pretty much Boston's to win. Their leadership and confidence along with a cast of great players pretty much wrote that story. And since St. Louis started swimming to the surface, they've never looked back. They have an unbeatable goalie and an entire team that has been feeling it steadily all 2019. We can analyze how they fit into a model, but to say that Boston is here on the strength of C or St. Louis is here strictly because of G dismisses a lot of factors. MacKinnon, one of the best players in the game shouldn't have seen the 2nd round. Ovechkin lost to a bunch of jerks and Crosby lost to a younger version of their model... who lost to a bunch of jerks.

I definitely don't think that you ignore the tried and proven models, I just think that for 31 teams entering the arena they need to develop models that are available to them I guess.
Bergeron and O'Reilly are top 5 3 zone centres in the entire league.

That's my point. There is no model that shuts that down.

Go look at the last 30 years of cup winners and tell me what they have in common.

Hell, look at the only time Calgary won: 2x75+ point centres. Gilmour finished 2 assists outside of the top 10 and Nieuwy tied for 5th in the league in goals.

Imagine a situation where Monahan finishes with 51 goals and when he goes off the ice, Backlund comes over the boards and has 58 assists.

Right now Boston sends Berg off the ice with his 79 points (in 65 games) and Krejci hops over the boards with his 73 points. Boston's second line centre scored 26 more points than Backlund this year (and is also excellent in all 3 zones).

If you go back through the entirety of all cup winners in the last 30 years you'll find 2 elite centres, or maybe the best centre in the game at the time their team won the cup. It really is that decisive.

Just pick a year at random, look at the team who won the cup, then check their roster.

Let's try...2008: Zetterberg and Datsyuk. 90+ points each.

Let's try...1997: Yzerman and Fedorov

let's try...2001: Sakic and Forsberg combined for more than 200 points.

The outlier will probably be New Jersey, but like i highlighted already, Jennings trophy with maybe the best goalie of all time and a couple of top 10-20 defensemen of all time.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: