View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 02:07 PM   #62
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
^ Unfortunately, THE model is either 2 high powered Cs or the single best C in the game.
You could make the case though that the model that shuts that down will definitely be replicated years and years after though, and we saw first-hand how futile your weapons can be when they're off or well-defended. I don't think there are enough guys that can reliably give you that for every team to work to that model - nor are they easy to get.

The model is definitely good and proven. But I think that unless you can get a Bergeron, Krejci or Binnington the alternative is to shut down the teams that do. Of course, if you develop something close to a proven model that works you go for it. St. Louis, with all the depth they have, wouldn't be anywhere if Binnington didn't show up in January and give them a chance each night.

But for all the models, I see 2 teams with leadership and a drive to get them where they are. Once the more motivated team in Columbus took out Boston's biggest threat, it was pretty much Boston's to win. Their leadership and confidence along with a cast of great players pretty much wrote that story. And since St. Louis started swimming to the surface, they've never looked back. They have an unbeatable goalie and an entire team that has been feeling it steadily all 2019. We can analyze how they fit into a model, but to say that Boston is here on the strength of C or St. Louis is here strictly because of G dismisses a lot of factors. MacKinnon, one of the best players in the game shouldn't have seen the 2nd round. Ovechkin lost to a bunch of jerks and Crosby lost to a younger version of their model... who lost to a bunch of jerks.

I definitely don't think that you ignore the tried and proven models, I just think that for 31 teams entering the arena they need to develop models that are available to them I guess.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote