View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
iggyntangs
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Question Hypothetical Establishing US Residency Question

My understanding from a particular company is that because it has operations in both US and Canada if I want to join the company as an employee I have to go through their Canadian payroll (and get paid Canadian $).

If I were to relocate to the US then I could join the US payroll and get paid USD.

I'm of course asking because getting paid in USD poses a significant financial advantage.

First of all I didn't know the above was true, I thought you could live in Canada and join the US payroll version of a company but I suppose not.

Question and not trying to cheat any system, asking from a legal perspective, is there any way to genuinely establish a residence in the US to get paid in USD satisfying those requirements while continuing to remain in Canada for living purposes? E.g. Renting out cheap property, setting up a bank etc.

From a work perspective I will have to go to the US quite a bit throughout the year (year-round) for work on a TN visa anyway as most of my work is performed there. But would love to spend my weekends in Canada in my hometown where I reside.

And I'm a Canadian citizen if that means anything.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by iggyntangs; 09-07-2017 at 12:29 PM.
iggyntangs is offline   Reply With Quote