View Single Post
Old 10-17-2022, 03:05 AM   #2411
14Roman14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
I never said there was anything wrong with a protest in Ottawa. It's perfectly fine. However, the tactics used by the protestors irked some people. Its also my opinion that the convoys in January started as a protest and morphed into an occupation, which is where it crossed the line. Also, the guys who brought the guns to the Coutts border was kind of terrible. If you can't see the negative sides/outcomes of the convoys, then I'm sorry, but they occurred. I'm not saying it was all negative, but a lot of it was. As such, many across this country view the protestors in a negative light. That's the consequences.

Sure, some people in Ottawa may have appreciated the protestors, but very many likely did not. Regardless, the 'protest' went on for too long and caused too much havoc to central Ottawa. You will disagree with that point, but that's fine. There was a news report the other day about how some businesses in downtown Ottawa are still struggling because less and less Ottawa citizens are going down to that area. So, I'm not so sure all people in Ottawa would share your point of view.

Right, and people in the convoys in January had Confederate Flags, Nazi symbols, stood on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, honked horns endlessly which was I'm sure terrible for the citizens in the area. Doesn't mean everyone down there was terrible or wrong. Citizens should be allowed to protest. But you can't block roadways forever and occupy a city. It has to end at some point. Also, Pat King, one of the leaders of the convoy was/is a terrible person with terrible beliefs. Not sure that's debatable.

I'm sorry, but if you're suggesting that CBC, Global News and CTV are some kind of propaganda wing for the Liberal Party then you're way out there in terms of your beliefs. You're now the second person I've talked to on here who said these things (I think Stickman was the other). Any notion that the media in this country is a propaganda wing for Trudeau and the Liberals is laughable and you're not going to be taken seriously. The fact that you believe this is both terrifying and hilarious.

Was the CBC a biased propaganda wing of Harper when he was PM?

What if PP doesn't defund the CBC if he become PM? Will the CBC then be a propagandist wing of his government?

All media is biased regardless of if it receives funding from the government. Just because the CBC receives funding does not mean it's biased for Trudeau.'

I'm sorry but I can't take anyone seriously when they say the things your saying.

You know that these two statements are ridiculous right? You literally list two 'news' sources (true north and rebel) that are terribly biased to one side and then lament that the media isn't more middle grounded. I'm struggling to take you seriously here because what you're saying is ridiculously contradictory.

I mean your final statement is a perfect description of what Rebel and True North do. They beat the same drum over and over, and get their audience to believe ridiculous lies, some of which you discussed above.

I said this in another post on this forum, literally all media is biased. They are products of people and all people are biased. I'm biased, you're biased, everyone is. Your job as the consumer of the media is to recognize the bias and get your information from multiple sources and then balance out the bias to the best of your ability. It's an imperfect system, but it is what it is. If you only listen to sources of information that you like, then what the hell is the point?
Many will say that the restrictions started out as two weeks to flatten the curve but crossed the line when it segregated society into haves and have nots instead of infected and not infected The lack of understanding irked many of the protesters and their supporters.

As for the guns, you do know that it is not illegal to transport an unloaded unrestricted firearm right? Now if there was intent to use that firearm for criminal activity then that obviously changes, and I agree is terrible. However none of this has been proven in court yet and I believe in Canada we are innocent until proven guilty.

Unfortunately I have heard the same about some businesses in Ottawa struggling, but I’m sure it doesn’t help that many government workers who commuted to that area are still working from home. Also that Wellington street and many others are blocked off, not by trucks but by barricades and fences making it harder for vehicles to navigate that area. Can’t blame the trucks for that when they are no longer there.

Debatable but deplorable if it was a person of the protest. Many in the convoy knew each other or had met each other along the way to Ottawa. Everyone that was there said they did not recognize those people and had never seen them at all till that point. They felt that those were people trying to discredit the movement and make them look like awful people when most of them were everyday hard working middle class citizens.

Even if there was one or two people there with racist views it would have been insane for them to fly easily symbols when under the microscope like that. It angers me if that was a set up and also if it was really someone with those views.
The protest was never about race, however it was about discrimination and fighting against it. Neither of those flags you mention support what the protesters were protesting, but it does discredit the movement and offer politicians to pull the race card and discredit the whole thing whether true or not. As for the tomb of the unmarked soldiers, after hearing of the incident(where again nobody knew the individual defacing it) there were veterans who were part of the convoy that volunteered to stand guard of that monument 24 seven the entire rest of the protest to ensure it never happened again. I am not a huge Pat King fan.

Harper did not give a 600 million bailout to “trusted media” in 2019. Trudeau did. Guess who gets to decide who it trusted? And are you going to risk losing that funding by reporting positively on issues the liberals see as negative?
Agree or disagree, they are literally getting funding to be “trusted”
While the other two meds sources are biased(much less true north than rebel yet still biased) they are not getting any government funding. When was the last time you heard a negative cbc Trudeau story? He will go to an event and get booed by protestors and the news will say “poor Justin out working hard for Canadians and these mean people are being so mean.”
The man was basically drunk in a hotel lobby the night before the queens funeral singing bohemian rhapsody, and the news from cbc had a story on how he was interacting with fans rather than how disrespectful he was being,

If PP doesn’t defund them(which I think he will if he gets in) and offers up 600 million to trusted sources I would definitely think their tune may change a bit to get a piece of that pie. I truly hope that’s not the case though.

You are right about biases, I just wish we could combine all four and maybe we’d get some sort of media that was more in the middle. It’s a big ask, but I think I can ask and hope.

Last edited by 14Roman14; 10-17-2022 at 03:10 AM.
14Roman14 is offline   Reply With Quote