View Single Post
Old 10-17-2022, 01:30 AM   #2404
14Roman14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
I mean what alternative would you have preferred? As I said in a previous post, modern society has always been about balancing individual rights with collective security/safety. The pandemic was this on steroids.

Covid presented society (and the governments of the time) with an unprecedented challenge that they were ill-equipped to handle. Government leaders were presented with terrible possibilities related to the spread of Covid and imposed measures that they thought might help. I'm not saying everything that was done was right or just, but it's incredibly disingenuous to look back now with hindsight and judge the actions of governments in a time of crisis.

I'm fairly confident Kenney (and other government leaders) really did not want to impose any restrictions or mandates but did them because the alternative could have resulted in mass spread of the virus and the overloading of our healthcare system.

So if you're now saying that the government should never have imposed these restrictions/mandates, than that's fine. But you need to understand you're actions would have likely overloaded the healthcare system and led to much more hardship in our society. Kenney did what he had to without actually limiting anyone's rights. I understand you feel like your rights were limited, but they weren't.
Alternatively I would have preferred a system based on safety rather that segregating politics. One that didn’t divide society over a medical choice, but rather on those that where ill with COVID and those who are not.

While I didn’t always believe the testing mechanisms were of great quality or perfect accuracy, many said they may have been the best we had.

I believe I gave those with the vaxpass a false sense of security if they thought they may have had a sniffle but in their minds likely not COVID as the pass said they could go to do whatever that allowed them to.

RedHot25 made mention that his father was at risk but people kept coming in sick. Now I’m not sure if he can guarantee that those people were all unvaxxed for COVID or if it’s possible that they were vaxxed for it and came it because of a false sense of security.

Either way it would have worked out much better if all had stayed away from others if any symptoms at all. I obviously preferred less restrictions as my experience with it and many others around me (including my 76 year old fathers who had previously had several bouts of pneumonia throughout his life ) was that it was a not very fun but short lived cold and flu symptom like virus. One that doctors healing orders were rest, isolation and lots of fluids.

I could understand recommendations, precautions, and updates throughout. I could understand some sort of restrictions on those with COVID or COVID symptoms.

As we found out they made restrictions on the ones who didn’t have a vaxpass with or without covid, and no restrictions on those who had a vaxpass with or without covid.

Had an approach been made more sense for health and not politics one could have accepted it. As soon as the negative test was no longer accepted and only the pass, but yet fully vaccinated groups(like the flames and almost every other nhl team last year) were being affected and only one group of people with or without covid was barred from most aspects of society did it unfairly divide.

Agree or disagree(which I’m sure most will) I appreciate that we are mostly back to normal now and hoping it continues to go that way until all restrictions and mandates are gone. I hope for a provincial government that works as strongly as possible for ALL Albertans going forward.
14Roman14 is offline   Reply With Quote