View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #36
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yup.

I said it in another thread, but it's the way the world is going and professional sports is bound to catch up. This COVID thing might be a huge catalyst, especially if people become accustomed to physical distancing.

People, especially the younger generation, prefer to have things come to them. Movie theaters, bars, restaurants, dating, and brick and mortar stores were all slowly going away before all this happened. If there is a whole season next year without packed stadiums, I can see gate driven sports declining too. I am not 100% convinced, but it is something I think could happen. It might not be overnight, but I can see declining attendance for sure.

Even after COVID goes away, I think there will be lingering physical distancing for a lot of people, especially around cold and flu season. Kids are going to be raised with these habits as well
I think that if attendance and revenue going forward doesn't return the NHL and owners might have to start looking into alternative broadcasting models like PPV to make up some of the gap. I don't think it would work well but what other options do they have?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote