View Single Post
Old 06-10-2023, 05:14 PM   #4414
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
There are definitely layers to this and a big part is "they" lack the intent or action of educating ALL users on appropriate usage of the shared areas. By far the most common issue I see on the pathways are inappropriate behaviors/usage by NON-cyclists - walkers, runners, dog owners, scooters/mopeds, roller bladers. Yet only cyclists seem to have ever been targetted and generally they tend to nab the seasonal good-weather riders.
Fair to a degree, but I don't think any travel mode has a significantly disproportionate rate of d-baggery (except for Ram trucks and BMWs, obviously)

I also don't think it's reasonable to expect 'appropriate behaviour' - from a cyclists viewpoint - from other users in many, if not most situations. Walking around ignorant of your surroundings or letting your dogs leash hang across the path is only a big problem because of cyclist conflict...otherwise it might be just mildly inconsiderate behaviour.

It does kinda suck that there are very few places where cyclists can just be 'free', but it is what it is.

FWIW the only bad incident I can recall in thousands of kms on our local pathways is getting knocked down by another moron cyclist a dozen meters past the north end of Peace Bridge on a very busy day. I'm sure there are countless times where I've had to slow/stop for loose dogs/etc, but it's pretty rare that I find myself annoyed at other users - except for inconsiderate cyclists
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote