View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 11:30 AM   #65
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know why I can't quote you GioforPM, but again, nothing there.

Berezan calling him too hard - that's ok. I know that Hartley is grating, and wears out his welcome. Too harsh? Certainly something I will agree with.

Baertschi crying - well, Baertschi was the laziest prospect that I have seen come through the Flames' org probably ever. I don't know what make him cry - hard to judge what happened here without knowing the exact conversation. Coming from O'Brien, I just put zero stock into it. This may have been the first time that Baertschi was ever called-out in his career.

The Selanne thing - that's just pure gamesmanship and IQ there.

Again, I completely do think that Hartley was overly abrasive, and because of it, has a short shelf life. However, NHL'ers (until the last time I looked it up) still came to help him at his hockey camps. Throughout all this me-too movement, nobody - absolutely NOBODY - has come out about Hartley like they have with Peters and Crawford and a few others.

No Trade Clause - yep, I have zero doubt that Hartley was on some of those. Abrasive, and you had to skate and work a LOT more both in practice and in games under Hartley too. However, there were also players that wanted to play for him - like Tanguay. Brent Sutter was voted as the 'least popular' coach to play for one year, wasn't he? Something to that effect?

Again, I don't doubt that Hartley quickly wears out a welcome with his abrasive style. Some players like to play for him, and most hate it. That's ok. My point is not whether he is popular or not, but simply that in this 'me-too' movement, Hartley hasn't had one single accusation about going over that line go in his direction. He has helped guys like Ferland. He seems to genuinely try and help his players. If there was really something terrible that he has done, I do believe we would have seen it come out already.

If I am an NHL GM, and I see my team under-performing and almost playing apathetically (and Darryl Sutter is not willing to take the job), I would give Bob Hartley a ring. Sure, I will realize that I may have to fire him in a couple of seasons, but for 2 seasons, my team will run through walls to win, and there won't be any transgressions that were over the line (again, AFAIK to date, he has not been accused of anything).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: