View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 08:35 AM   #1493
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Completely unrelated to the current handwringing going on, but I was reviewing an interview for a podcast and the guest was an Egyptian living in Germany who had previously spent 18 years in the United States after fleeing his homeland because of political persecution. The interview was about pizza of all things but the interviewer asked how he enjoyed living in Germany versus living in the United States? The response was quite startling. The guest stated he much preferred Germany because he was free there. He stated the United States is no longer free and is subject to the whims of the political elite who no longer represent their constituents. He stated that in Germany the representatives are forced to represent the people, that the fear of a return to fascism holds all representatives to such a standard that the will of the people is always served. He went on to explain that the United States has turned into a fascist state, not much different from the Egypt he fled. It was shocking in that it was stated so matter of factly and with such clarity that it really just stopped me in my tracks. It's one thing to think these things privately, but when you hear it from someone with such a story it is really unnerving. Doesn't really align with any of the issues under discussion, just a personal story to share.
Wow, could you share what podcast that was? I'd be interested in listening to it.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote