View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
No, not like the Cindy Crawford type.

I'm looking to get into models again, like when I was a kid. There's some really cool stuff out there. But how do you know which paints and stuff to buy? Are there instructions on the box for what to buy? I looked at a few but didn't see any, but maybe I'm not looking right.

Do you need any other tools? Like tweezers or something for smaller parts?
What do you want to build? Some paint brands are more suited for military models while others are more suitable for cars.

Really, though, paint is a personal preference. Do you intend to use a brush, rattle can, air brush, or a combo of all? Some paints are optimized for an air brush in that they are pre-thinned.

I build race cars and for the detail parts, I use a brush and I like Tamiya because they clean up with soap and water. I use rattle cans as well and I usually buy them at Canadian Tire in the auto dept. Tamiya spray paint is pricey, quite frankly. I tried air brushes, but I find them inconvenient because of the cleaning.

Recommended paints are typically found within the instructions. Some model manufacturers will specify a specific paint (EG, Tamiya Flat Black).

Tools:
- xacto knife
- sprue nippers
- needle nose pliers
- set of files
- very fine wet/dry sand paper
- tweezers
- sanding block
- a pin vise.

Not all of these are critical but they make things easier.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post: