View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 05:32 PM   #4274
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I'm an atheist and have zero interest in going to church, but I can understand that there are good, rational reasons for people to do so that aren't about indoctrination. Community membership, emotional support, spiritual guidance and contribution to something bigger than yourself are all rational and positive reasons to do it. In fact, given that spiritual faith and membership in such communities tends to make people happier, there's a good argument that the most rational choice would be choosing to have faith and participate.
You can have a very rich life filled with friends, family, community, and contribution while guided by a strong moral compass without also believing in fairytales and choosing baloney over rationality.

At the very least, I am strongly opposed to indoctrinating children with BS and potentially damaging beliefs, traditions and rituals (eg circumcisions, boys alone with priests, etc). If people want to join areligious clubs and teams, there are plenty out there. Adding in teachings from a book or two that have been outdated for a good couple thousand years is poor parenting imo.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: