View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #269
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It was the autopilots fault in that the autopilot saw the white trailer as white sky and didn't attempt to stop like a person would.

You cannot blame the person for not reacting. This is why this type of autonomous driving is dangerous. How can you expect a person to keep focus of your telling them the car will do the driving?

Having said all that, the proof is in the pudding. 132 million miles before the first death. That's far better than human driving. We're still going to see the majority of the cars on the road being self driving within 15 years

We had Autopilot on a 30 day trial. While it was cool, I still wouldn't buy it. I worked fine for us, but I found it couldn't react in time to people cutting you off, which is common in Calgary. You have to pay attention. The car will turn off Autopilot when you aren't touching the wheel, but that after a little bit of time. I think it should be almost instantaneous like the Mercedes is. Having said that, it still will drive if I have one hand on the wheel and I'm texting.
So, while it's cool, and I did find it was actually pleasant on the hwy to let the car do most of the work. You still need to pay attention, otherwise you're irresponsible.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote