View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #40
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
It's hard to say what stage he's at right now. He's not in pain, I don't think (other than arthritis in his hips) but he's just.... tired all the time. He goes out to do his business maybe once or twice a day, but otherwise is content to lie in bed. He's not interested in walks, or in playing with our other dog, who still has a ton of energy. From reading online, it seems to say that liver cancer is usually advanced by the time it's diagnosed, and then progresses quickly after that. My wife and I were up until 1:00 AM talking about it, and we agreed that we're not going to do anything or decide on anything for at least a week, but I guess I'm starting to feel like the time is coming.
I feel for you. In 2004 our 4 year old Bernese Mountain Dog had to be put down due to some form of cancer, the frustrating thing being that we spent over $2000 in less than a week trying to get a diagnosis after he suddenly lost about 8 lbs in one week and wouldn't eat. One week later he had lost another 20 lbs and was in a coma. The docs never did figure out what was actually wrong but by that point everyone was sure it was a cancer of some sort and we made the decision to put him down since the rapid progression and unknown type didn't bode well for treatment. It was absolutely awful to have to make that decision, but it was the right one.

The reason I brought this up was that liver cancer was thought of as the most likely, even though the tests did not confirm it. I personally think it was a brain tumour that mimiced some of the liver cancer symptoms based on its location in the brain, but we'll never know. The crazy thing is how quickly he deteriorated after the obvious symptoms appeared.