View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 03:19 PM   #2983
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

speaking about Musk and hatred...

How Elon Musk's tweets unleashed a wave of hate

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-64989720

My investigation made clear Twitter was never perfect. But it had exposed how hate is thriving under Twitter's new owner. Current and former Twitter employees told me "nobody is taking care of" features designed to protect users from hate and harm.

I had approached Elon Musk as part of my Panorama investigation, but he didn't respond.

Instead, he decided to share his reaction to it afterwards with more than 130 million followers on his social media site.

During my original investigation, I had looked into profiles sending out abuse on Twitter. Many had become more active on the social media site since Elon Musk decided to restore thousands of suspended accounts.

This time, I looked into the accounts sending me abuse. Many of the accounts had become more active since the takeover, and several openly rejoiced how their profiles had returned since Mr Musk bought the platform.

Some were prominent conspiracy theorists brought back by Mr Musk. Several had the new paid-for blue "verified" ticks.

I have approached Elon Musk and Twitter several times to ask about his vision for the social media site. I've been in touch with both Twitter and Mr Musk again to seek their response to the additional spike in hate I've received since his tweets.They have not responded.

Since then, the email account for the Twitter press office now automatically sends out poo emojis in response to requests. Twitter policies, which are publicly available online, say that "defending and respecting the user's voice" remains one of its "core values".
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote