Thread: Cycling Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #98
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red '00 View Post
While I'm at it i might as well post a question and get some opinions. Only problem with my bike is over the last year and a half I've noticed some oil build-up on my forks, on one side more than the other.

I figured the seals just need to be replaced, but decided to email Trek about it anyway. They said it's normal, called it "weeping lines" or something like that. However I've never had a big problem with this on past bikes, and the one side seems like a bit too much build-up, sometimes with big chunks building up and having to be wiped off every now and then.

Now, my LBS took a look at it last year and gave me the runaround. Told me it should be replaced, told me they'd order me in a new one but it could take up to a year. Never did get a phone call, and when I enquired about my part they had no idea what I was talking about. No longer my choice in bike shops.

So, "weeping lines", simple seal problem, or serious issue that requires entire fork replacement? I'm still under the original warrenty, but I don't want to put the bike on the shelf for months.
It's normal. I get them on my DH quite a bit, mainly due to lube around the forks travelling in and out of the seals. If you start getting A LOT of buildup (or lube running down your forks) it's a problem.

If you're really worried you can change the seals yourself, it's not that complicated and seals are cheap. That or take your bike to COP, they're the best in the city at fixing things on the cheap, and within a few days.