Thread: Cycling Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #91
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Well, just spent the day getting my knee figured out after probably the most mentally and physically difficult day in my life.

Day one of the Enbridge Cancer ride went awesome. Beautiful weather, not much wind, and I was making great time. Then at about km 80, in what seemed to be a 30 km long hill, with a pretty stiff crosswind, I felt a slight pain in my knee, by the time I hit the camp at km 107, I was in grimacing pain mode. Something gave way, or was seriously pulled. I looked at my cleats (part of the shoe that attached to the pedal), and realized somewhere along the way, my right cleat shifted, putting my foot in a superpronated position. For how long? who knows, but I did some pretty good damage. Thank god for the medical tent and their stock of drugs, wraps and creams to get me through the rest the day at the camp...

It would have been hard enough in those conditions on the last day with a full bill of health, but on one leg for essentially 120 kms was the hardest thing I have ever had to do both physically and mentally in my life. At the same time however, it was the most fulfilling. No matter how tough my experience was though, I am sure, it was a walk in the park compared to what anyone battling the disease is going through.

Saw the doctor Monday, and luckily it is only a sprained LCL. I was pretty worried as that knee has had some problems in the past. Some anti-inflammatories, and, and a couple weeks of rest should take care of it. I fully intend to do it again next year, and signed up already. I would recommend to anyone, to take on this cause and ride. It is such an awesome experience, and I am glad to have done it. Not only will you tackle a great cause, you WILL grow as a person if you haven't done something like this before.

I learned a lot about my self on that highway on Sunday, and I am a better man for it today.
Good on ya Pylon.

Your ride sounds incredibly similar to the one I did in 2009. I had the same problem with an overpronated clip, and basically lost my left knee around km 60. The last 170 kms or so were pretty much done by my right leg, with my left foot resting on the pedal rather than clipped in. Finishing that thing was the hardest physical test I've ever experienced. I've had less luck with the knee though - it seems to have some kind of arthritis that now bothers me off and on two years later. Fortunately not enough to keep me off the bike or out of action, but enough that I won't be pushing it like that again.

I volunteered for this year's Ride, and will try to keep involved in the event, but I think I'll keep my rides to 100km/day or less from here on out