View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #485
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
For people asking about pre-seasoning. The guys at "Sous Vide Everything" also did a test to determine what was best:

If you don't want to watch it they determined that seasoning BEFORE Sous Vide was the way to go.
Well, that one is about salt only though. Which I agree. Sous vide with salt inside = great flavours all the way through as it brines the meat. However, it's the spices that I'm not sure on, though black and spicy pepper are IMO about the same if left during the cook or after. Sugar is another that's worth experimenting on with the salt, though personally, I like leaving the sugar to afterwards because of the caramelizing effects I can do when finishing the meat.

This is actually a similar experiment I did and I came to the same result. Anything with spirits in it long term was blegh. Save the spirits for after the sous vide as a reduction or sauce.

However, their results with beer and moonshine are interesting, so I might experiment with that one day.

I've had really weird results with rosemary, basil, oregano, bayleaf etc. if left long term in the sous vide. I don't like it. I was just curious if someone else knew a secret in how to apply spices during the sous vide cook so that it's not scarily overpowering after the cook is finished.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote