Thread: The Grand Tour
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #156
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
I think by the end of the series the show had sort of righted itself. I enjoyed all the episodes but once they started the Africa trip (even with all the staging) some of the old started to come out. The genuine spontaneous disagreement and fun started to come through a bit more. It felt like a typical debut season for a show...starting off with huge promises and being over the top to finally starting to settle in to what it could become.

I also wonder if a lot of what was missing is because the car companies themselves were dealing with an unknown quantity and weren't as liberal with what they allowed the show to do and say about the cars. They ran into that every now and again on Top Gear. Perhaps with the Top Gear vs Grand Tour thing the manufacturers had there initial money on the tried and true Top Gear. Given the spectacular failure that was doe that shift the competition moving forward? Because no matter how you think Grand Tour could be better and it could I don't think it was near the disaster of the new Top Gear which I found unwatchable. And in fact didn't watch beyond the first two episodes.

I'm excited to see where season 2 goes to be honest.
I saw things the same way. The farther along the season got the better the shows. In some ways it is better than old Top Gear. I think a lot of it is they had to start from scratch and had to find themselves again. I think it will keep getting better and more relaxed as they get more confortable not being Top Gear. I loved it!
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote