Thread: The Grand Tour
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #144
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I had never actually seen Top Gear, but figured I'd go all in on Grand Tour. I also got Netflix shortly after it started and saw that lots of old Top Gear was on there. So I've been watching them and they are new to me, so I think I can provide a good assessment. Watching both back to back, Top Gear is much better, on average. I'm not a big fan of star in a reasonably priced car, but the rest of it is really good. So I have to assume Grand Tour didn't take many of the producers from Top Gear, because that seems to be the difference.

The guys are mostly the same, but the situations they are in were just more entertaining in Top Gear. I just watched the Caravan episode last night, and it was just fantastic. Couldn't stop laughing. I wonder if it is a bit of a cultural thing, as I assume the producers are American for Grand Tour. Brits are just a bit zanier, and I think that allows them to come up with some better ideas.

Maybe the next season will be better. We have to assume they are all shot at once, and they don't have 100% idea of how they will turn out until they are finalized. Hopefully they do some navel gazing and fix a few things. The last episode left out one of my biggest complaints, The American. Though he was still in the credits. Really hope they drop him though. The last episode didn't really have a soul, it was just segments that would have been mediocre on Top Gear. It's almost like they were left overs from the rest of the season. Here is hoping next season is better, because the guys still have it. The producers need to figure it out.
As well, they dont have the same leashes as they had before from the BBC and, while I generally feel that this is a good thing, sometimes not having constraints makes people less creative about how to get around them, which sometimes are the funniest parts.

But again, at its core its a very similar show.

They've dropped the 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' thankfully.

But they still have a car running lap times on a track which I'm not sure too many people care about.

Its still their wacky mix of 'Buddy Comedy/Travel Show/Exotic Cars/Ridiculous challenges/etc.'

I think if people are looking to consult these three on genuine consumer advice they might be barking up the wrong tree.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote