Thread: Float Life
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #15
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't live in Calgary but I am a member at a Floating facility down in Seattle. I used to go 5 x weekly but now I'm down to twice a month (really just scheduling and location; otherwise I would go more often).

For me it's primarily about mental health; perfect quiet and complete darkness (once you get comfortable with it) is an incredible atmosphere for meditation and gathering your thoughts. It's amazing how infrequently we find sustained quiet day-to-day (especially if you have kids), and I love it.

I also have a problematic hip flexor and I've noticed some benefit to floating there as well (I don't have to stretch/express it nearly as often).

I would definitely recommend it if you're curious; I tried it as a Groupon (down here they run them all the time for those) where you could get your first three floats for $100. Don't trust your first time - it takes a while to not panic and just relax (I think I was nervous for about 45 minutes of the first one hour float). The second time I relaxed sooner and felt some of the benefits; the third time I was hooked.

I always come out of there feeling refreshed, motivated, and focused. Unless I fall asleep which probably happens a quarter of the time, but hey - a nap is a nap.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote