View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #38
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
- Materials wise: Spending 20-30% more isn't a big cost in the grand scheme of things. The time and labour and reversing a decision is the more expensive component IMO. For instance a Cat 7 cable might be double in price to something like a Cat 6, but for a few hundred bucks more for the entire home, you're future proofing by pulling 10 Gigabit vs 1 Gigabit lines.

I do agree with many things in your post and the general point you are trying to make but you have errors in the above.

Cat6 can do 10 Gigabit on distances less than 55 metres (180 feet). 6a can do 330 feet. 180 is long enough for most houses.

Cat 7 is expensive and extremely uncommon in residential. It is about $0.65 ft as oppose to Cat 6 ~$0.13 ft, so approximately 500% more. It is thicker and harder to pull, so it would take longer to install.

As a professional, I would recommend either 6 or 6a. If future proofing is the main concern then conduit or perhaps fibre might be a consideration.

I have seen so many basements that are poorly constructed DIY projects. With proper inspection, the finished product would be detrimental to the sale of the home down the road. The persons that took on these projects lacked some combination of skill, patience, knowledge, and / or effort.

The point I am trying to make is that good professionals will give proper advice and achieve a good end result. It takes a considerable effort, knowledge, learnt skill etc for DIY to pull off a similar result. It is certainly not impossible to do and I have seen many well-done basements by homeowners, but have seen many mediocre to poor ones as well.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 02-19-2020 at 11:56 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post: