View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #28
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Have you considered getting permits or not? There are some important issues there. And also dito for doing your own drywall. That's the one thing I'd hire out for sure. And a plus 1 for making the framing perfect. It all starts there.
Forgot to mention the permits thing, but yeah, this is a pretty important one too. One of the super annoying things I ran into for permits with the GC I hired for the basement development wasn't even the contractors' fault. The city just took forever to process the permit. Because my unit was a town house, I was also required to get a letter from the board giving me approval to develop my basement. Somehow this wasn't explicitly requested at first for the permit application and being on the board, I was able to acquire the letter within a day of being notified by the city of the outstanding documentation. I assume this still delayed the permit by a few weeks and if I recall correctly the permit took something stupid like 10-12 weeks to approve.

I also recall certain things could be worked on while we waited on the permit, but it was very limited, so it's not like you're completely stuck doing nothing without the permit. You just can't do certain types of work or exceed a certain amount of work without the permit and inspections or something like that.

I'm glad my new house refresh didn't require permits due to it being just paint and replacement hardware/doors to a more modern design. Ugh that would have been a pain.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote