View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #26
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Thanks guys. After talking to a few people and getting some prices, i’m going to do it myself. Probably contract out the plumbing.

The drywall seems like a pain but hearing costs like $2000 -$5000 just for some taping and mudding, i’ll do it myself even if it takes longer.

Was hoping someone would come on cp and say they just did their basement for under $30,000 but that’s starting to sound unrealistic.
Keep in mind, I think your numbers are also missing quite a few things that you're probably kinda writing off as nothing/not including but contractors would charge full value.

1. Planning/reading/familiarizing yourself with a design
2. Prep/pre-clean
3. Travel/materials selection and acquisition
4. Clean up

I assuming if you were to drive out and grab drywall or even have it delivered that you're not considering that as time. Run out of screws and send someone out to buy some? Same thing. Finish cutting this and that and need to vacuum and throw stuff into the garbage? Ditto. Chatting with sub and explaining what needs to be done or arguing about why they didn't follow the blue print? Hourly rate or whatever.

Consider that a trades person does some of this stuff as a job. DIY has its place for sure, but sometimes if you DIY, it just keeps on getting pushed and nothing gets done.

Knowing what I know now and semi rant on some major snafus during my previous experiences....

Things you can do:
Spoiler!

Things I've learned developing my basement, standing in for the GC for an office development and refreshing my new home purchase are:
Spoiler!

I developed a roughed in (mainly plumbing) 650 sq ft ish basement for around $33-35K around 2015 through a GC I knew. I think you can keep your costs to your budget if you do certain things yourself and sub certain important parts of the project. You can also save a ton if you are careful with your acquisition costs. $50-100 bucks here and there might seem negligible, but consider if you do this 20-30 times, that's a few grand right there.

DoubleF's dumb anecdote:
Spoiler!

EDIT: Oh and for doors. I had to install a ton of doors, so my savings were a bit bigger, but Ryobi has these door installation kits that include easy use chisels. My contractor was blown away that this product existed and could help with the chiseling for dead bolts and strike plates and hinges for the door, rather than have to chisel each one out completely free hand to make it fit at the frame or drag a door back and forth from a routing tool.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ryobi-A99LM2-L...JH3HAQZ8JCX605

https://www.amazon.ca/Ryobi-A99HT2-I...JH3HAQZ8JCX605

Last edited by DoubleF; 02-19-2020 at 11:16 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: