View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #1702
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I look at Southampton as the perfect example. In a North American sports model, they'd probably be the best team in England. No one has been better at developing talent in the last 15 years. And yet they are fighting relegation because they have sell everyone. So if you're a supporter of Southampton the last 15 years you've got to see elite talent and....the knowledge you'll never win anything and will be fighting relegation every now and then. Kinda sucks doesn't it?
In a North American market (i.e. franchise system), they would probably have been excluded from the market and have their best talent taken/lured away without commensurate compensation. The odds may be stacked against them in England/Europe but they are not completely excluded and have an identifiable path on which they can take their supporters on journeys. Furthermore, they can take this path much further than they could in North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So why do I watch? Because I enjoy the sport, and this is the highest level.
I admire your appreciation for the game and ability to do so without having to anchor your ship to a port. It's also entertaining when someone cannot deflect attention from their inability to rationally defend their team's shortcomings by attacking your favourite team.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote