View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #56
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...related-crimes

Residents and business owners in the Beltline are becoming increasingly concerned with criminal activity near the city’s only safe-injection site, as police say violence and drug dealing in the community are on the rise.

The site has seen a significant increase in clients over the past few months, but violent crimes in the area are also on the rise as police say drug dealers are flocking to the community to target the vulnerable population using the site.

Earlier in the month, Hamnadieh said he witnessed an older man being held up at knifepoint just outside his place of work. Armed only with a broom, Hamnadieh rushed to defend the victim until police arrived a short time later.

“He was robbing somebody outside with a knife,” he said of the encounter. “I’m not going to leave (the victim), the guy is like 60 years old.”

Hamnadieh has only lived in the area for less than six months, but said the robbery incident happened not long after witnessing two overdoses and someone tried to break into his apartment.

“I’m not against (the site), but I’m not with it,” he said. “The thing is, if you want to do this thing you have to get cops around.”

JoAnn McCaig, who runs Shelf Life Books across from Safeworks, said a man walked into the business Thursday around 5:30 p.m. and “injected himself in plain view of our staff and customers.”

“The escalation of problems, I can’t even put it into words,” she said. “There are times where we have an incident every day. I just went out to our parking lot and found three individuals back there leaving syringes behind.”

McCaig said she understands the need for the safe-injection site and isn’t casting judgment on Safeworks clients. But the shop owner said Alberta Health Services needs to reconsider “the effects on the community . . . so that they can try to mitigate.

“Addicts deserve our compassion and they deserve every opportunity to seek recovery and improve their mental health . . . And if that’s what a safe-injection site is for, the opposite has occurred here,” she said.

Police said violent crime and social disorder calls within a 500-metre radius of Safeworks are steadily increasing.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote