View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #219
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Sony's TVs don't have to be connected to the internet every 24 hours (and be able to send back data) to work. What's in the TV is a primitive IR light sensor to adjust brightness depending on ambient lighting and to generally sense if the shape of a person is sitting in front of the TV and watching so it doesn't go into power saving.

What's in the Kinect is an advanced 3D/spatial HD camera with IR mapping of the room and user connected to a powerful computer system with large amounts of processing power and storage that will almost always be connected on the network and sending data back and forth. That is easily abused.
Sony Bravia 3D TVs have facial recognition that can detect if you are looking away, who is looking at the screen, where they are in the room, how close they are to the TV, if they are looking at the TV etc. It is far more than a "primitive" IR light sensor now. It's looking for presence, motion, heat and spacial data....hmm sounds pretty familiar to something else.

Quote:
The Intelligent Presence Sensor in many new BRAVIA TVs uses advanced face recognition technology to analyse and monitor who is watching the screen. It can automatically optimise sound and picture performance for people who aren’t sitting directly in front of the TV, warn children if they’re sitting too close and even dim the picture or turn it off completely, if no-one is looking.
Ah yes Sony protector of peoples data....oh oops they don't do that very well do they?

I have nothing against Sony. I own a PS3, a Sony TV, Sony sound system. I like Sony. But it's not like this isn't what the entire electronics industry is already moving towards. Microsoft is trying to fast track it (and doing a terrible job of doing so). But make no mistake it will happen and be the norm across numerous platforms sooner rather than later. Another 5 years and your TV will know exactly who turned it on and who is watching and adjust the settings accordingly. You must already know that any dish and cable providers know exactly what you are watching at any time (and how good the reception is). that sort of data is already being passed back and forth.

And again, I still don't know a gamer that doesn't have internet and how a behind the scenes check in once every day (or whatever they end up deciding on) is any sort of concern.

Last edited by ernie; 06-20-2013 at 09:57 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote