View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #2050
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
If “black lives matter” wasn’t a controversial idea, then you wouldn’t see a widespread disregard for black lives when compared to the lives of others, you wouldn’t see repeated examples of police seeing black lives as less important than white lives, you wouldn’t see the rise of open white supremacy. You wouldn’t see Black people continuously under-represented. To say that “black lives matter” is universally non-controversial is to be ignorant of what Black people actually experience.

Is that statement more controversial than the need for police reform? Doesn’t seem that way today, does it?

I question whether you even understand Black Lives Matter based of what you think they should be called (which is hilarious and simplistic) and your glossing over of the “why” behind their tactics. Staging a 30 min sit-in at Pride is not remotely controversial, and is more in-touch with the roots of Pride than many of the parades are today.

That being said, nobody is suggesting supporting Black Lives Matter is the same as saying “black lives matter,” and you still haven’t given any evidence of your claim that any criticism of Black Lives Matter is seen as criticism on the value of black lives, and I’m open to seeing your examples.

I just think you painting it as a clever move to shield them from criticism is without basis and kind of ignorant. And your idea that the value of black lives is universally understood is at best extremely naive.
My point was the naming was clever, in that it attached controversial ideas to a non-controversial statement. In other words, people can disagree with a lot of what BLM stands for, but still agree that "black lives matter".

Many of the issues you list are complex and worthy of discussion with reasonable people disagreeing on the best path forward.

Did the PRIDE parade in 2016 make a statement that could even remotely be construed as "black lives don't matter"? Of course they didn't.

This is the problem with BLM - if you disagree with them, they make the claim that you don't think black lives matter. It is, at the least, a failure of logic in that regard.