View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a super beginner/don't know what I'm doing - full disclosure up front.

I have the following devices - can I make them all play sound via my old stereo?

-tv: only a couple years old - I.e. has HDMI. Does have RCA connectors on back.
-ps3: connected to a HDMI switch then to tv via HDMI, sound from ps3 to stereo via RCA cable connector thing.
-roku: HDMI connection only. Connected via HDMI to switch then to tv via HDMI. Sound only plays via tv speakers.
-shaw cable box: super basic HD box - Shaw Arris. No PVR etc, all it does is allow HD tv. Connected to switch then to tv via HDMI cord. Sound via tv speakers or, with a cord switch (see below), I can play sound via old stereo.
-old stereo: probably 10ish years old. Connect to it via RCA cords (via an adapter - run 2 RCA cords to a little connector, which makes it a single plug in to the stereo). Right now I can play the ps3 sound or tv sound via my old stereo - I just have to unplug say the ps3 RCA's from the little stereo connector, connect the tv RCA's to the little connector, and plug in the single plug into the stereo.

My question: can I play all sound - every device - via my old stereo? I am ok if I have to manually change rca cords for the little stereo connector plug. We aren't massive tv watchers by any means.

I subscribe to MLB.tv. I used to watch via ps3 (stereo sound) but now that is no longer supported so I watch through the Roku...which now only gives me tv speaker sound.

There are options, the easiest of which is to pick up a new receiver (I'm partial to Pioneer, Marantz, and Emotiva stuff), but it sounds like you don't mind your old one beyond features. So an HDMI Pass-through with Analog Audio Out could work for you, something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Extractor-Spli.../dp/B00ISQ8VB8

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: