View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #114
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
At least we have Seattle close if they get some games, but how does this happen
Organizers were probably banking on being able to market the Seattle -- Vancouver commute with matches in both cities.

B.C. Place was an excellent venue for the Women's World Cup in 2015.

Vancouver has been a hub for the women's team for years, training out of Fortius and many of the players, including now men's coach Herdman, call the city home (not sure about the men's players). There's always been a strong connection between Vancouver and Canada Soccer.

From a distance, this seems like a shocking decision. Living in Calgary, I don't know the ins and outs of politics in that city or the province like I do here. Was there infighting between politicians or parties when it came to hosting the event? Worry about the cost of security? Laying down grass?

I believe a stipulation of the United bid, at least on the Canadian end, is there has to be representation from the west and east of the country. That only leaves Edmonton. Commonwealth is a serviceable stadium, but not like B.C. Place -- near hotels, downtown, plenty of restaurants, transit, clean etc. It seems like a marketing dream.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote