View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #66
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, the Monahan Gaudreau connection scored ES in each of the first three games IIRC. But you actually think 3 games is enough of a test? And you folks accuse Ward of having a blender? Or past coaches of not giving Bennett enough of a shot on a top line? Chemistry isn’t usually instant.
I could understand 5 games, maybe 10 games tops, but not 21. The Flames did not score an even strength goal in the second game, but I think that line scored in the first and third game.

The Flames had 15 even strength goals with a goalie in the net in the first 10 games. That is awful by almost any standard, yet they kept trying those same lines for another 11 games. The pace they were on at even strength in the first 10 games, even if you add the empty netter in game 3, would have placed them second last in the NHL last year, only ahead of the Detroit Red Wings. In 18/19 it would have placed them dead last. In 17/18 it would have placed them second last. If I was the coach, I would have pulled the plug after the 10th game, based on those comparable alone.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote