View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #16
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
no, our education system is failing, there was a time you didn't see perfectly good working TV's in the lane with a remote taped on, I know its amazing to think that we used to only buy new things when the old one broke beyond all hope of fixing, but it is true, you didn't buy a new phone or car or TV just because it was old, anyway that's my crotchety old got sermon for the day, now you can all get back to your craft brewed advacado kambucha's
People throw things out because it's cheaper than fixing them. I have an employee that I caught trying to fix a dolly in my shop. He was sitting there with the casters pulled off and he was taking the bearings out of the wheels. His next step was to run around trying to find new bearings, which is the point at which I stopped him. Shutting down his production so I'm not billing his hours while he fatas around with a 20-year old dolly is the worst use of 2-3 hours I can imagine. Chuck it out, let me know, and I'll have a brand new delivered here by lunch for half the cost.

TVs are an even more pronounced example. Taking a couple hours off and hauling an old TV to some repair shop in the industrial park to pay a guy $90 an hour to fix it is really dumb. Just shoot over to Costco and have a new warrantied TV for the same or less than messing around with the old one is a no brainer.

New goods are so cheap and Calgary labour rates are so expensive that it no longer makes sense to fix your stuff. It's like if your dishwasher fails...just buy a new one. Taking the day off to have a guy come to your house to tell you your dishwasher isn't repairable and then handing you a $150 bill for his time is a bad way to spend your money and time off.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: