View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #2461
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
This, When I had mine installed I asked about buying the cover, and was told he would sell it to me if I really insisted, but they are designed to be in the elements, and 90% of repairs are because the homeowner forgot it was covered up and the unit turned on in the spring.
I don't know that the installers have any sort of inside scoop on how these things weather or have done any research on how covered versus uncovered affects longevity. I'll grant them some people are going to turn on their AC without removing the cover, but you're also going to have people that drive through their closed garage door, or have faucet pipes burst because they didn't winterize them, or have an RV leak because they didn't cover it and caulk the roof, etc. Flick the breaker off when you cover it to help you remember and you'll be golden.

Cars are designed to be in the elements, but compare a car that has been in a garage for 30 years versus one that has spent a few decades in the middle of a field. Covering stuff protects it from the elements and lets it last longer. It's common sense 101. Or look at a lazy guy that doesn't cover his barbecue versus somebody who covers theirs after every use. My barbecue looks brand new even though it's eight years old because I cover it after every use. My BIL has the same one bought at the same time and it looks like it's from Chernobyl. An AC unit is a few thousand bucks. Sure you can let it live outside in the elements seven months a year even though it's not being used, but it's going to last you a lot longer if you take the basic step of protecting it with a $50 cover.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote