View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #150
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Ok, hive mind - need some suggestions. Bought a giant beef tenderloin from Costco (the de-veined/de-fatted version). Before any research... my initial thought was to salt & pepper, sear on high on the BBQ for 3 minitues/side and then 30 mins in the oven at 350 in a cast iron casserole. I am thinking that would give me medium/medium-rare when I cut it after. Yes, no, maybe? Thanks in advance.

hey Vlad

this is the recipe i use for a tenderloin roast (i know the recipe says prime rib roast, but it is amazing with a tenderloin)...

Herbed Rib Roast
Yield - Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
  • For roast
    • 1 (7- to 8-lb) prime rib roast (sometimes called standing rib roast; 3 or 4 ribs)
    • 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
    • 2 bay leaves (not California)
    • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    • 3 garlic cloves
    • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • For jus
    • 2 cups beef broth
    • 1 small fresh rosemary sprig
    • 1 small fresh thyme sprig
    • 1 garlic clove, smashed
· Preparation

• Prepare roast:
    • Trim all but a thin layer of fat from roast. Grind peppercorns and bay leaves with salt to a powder in an electric coffee/spice grinder, then transfer to a mortar. Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary, then pound to a smooth paste with pestle. Stir in oil. Rub paste all over roast. Transfer roast to a rack set in a small flameproof roasting pan. Marinate, covered and chilled, at least 8 hours – but no more than 24 hrs.
  • Cook roast:
    • Let roast stand at room temperature 1 hour.
    • Preheat oven to 450°F.
    • Roast beef in middle of oven 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and roast beef until a thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 110°F, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours more. Transfer beef to a large platter and let stand, uncovered, 25 minutes. (Meat will continue to cook, reaching about 130°F for medium-rare.)
  • Make jus:
    • Skim fat from pan juices. Add broth, rosemary, thyme, and garlic and deglaze pan by simmering on top of stove over moderate heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits. Transfer to a small saucepan and add any juices that have collected on platter. Gently simmer 10 minutes. Skim fat and season jus with salt and pepper.