View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This has been discussed in other threads, but thats not really how transfer fees work with the Major clubs.

The fact of the matter is that Bayern can go to Vancouver and say:

"Would he rather play for Bayern Munich, one of the top Club teams in the World and in the Champions' League or...."

And the player is instantly going to tell Vancouver to sell him for whatever they're offering and that he'll never set foot on an MLS pitch ever again.

And within this context is tough to blame him. For him and his career this is a stratospheric step up.

Now, thats only right now, I dont know what his contract status is with the Whitecaps, but this is the proverbial 'Offer that you can't refuse.'

Because you would imagine that the player must be chomping at the bit to make this career move and frankly Canadian Soccer would likely be thrilled as well, which leaves the Whitecaps in an unenviable position.
I might be wrong, but this looks like a loan back to VWC because he's only 17 and can't actually get the visa to go to Germany at this point. So probably the sale and loan back for the MLS season, and then go to Germany in January. But yeah, an enormous step for sure. Like I said before, I just hope he actually gets playing time and development and isn't rotting away on the bench.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote