View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default NY Times Gaudreau article. Update: response from Johnny

Posted in the backburner forum, but also deserved to be put here

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/sp...?smid=tw-share

Much to the chagrin of Flames fans, Gaudreau's mom wants him to play his senior year:

Quote:
Gaudreau is now wrestling with what to do at the end of this season. He enjoys college life and playing with his brother, but has little left to accomplish at the collegiate level, especially if Boston College wins another national championship.

The Flames are telling Gaudreau to focus on the coming tournaments and then make the decision. Gaudreau’s mother would like to see her son finish college and graduate, and he said his mother usually prevailed in these kinds of things.

“I don’t think he gets it that when you go out there, it’s not going to be all fun anymore,” Jane Gaudreau said. “I don’t think he gets he may be taking the spot of someone who has a wife and three kids.”

She added: “As his mom, I’d like to see him take one more year to get a little bigger, a little stronger, and to enjoy his senior year. He’s never had a homecoming. He’s never had a prom. He missed his high school graduation. He said he’d have a graduation picture for me.

“Have your senior year. You will never get that back.”

If Matthew Gaudreau gets to decide again, he and his brother will return to Boston College. And if Jane Gaudreau was choosing, her sons would be Eagles for another year.

But neither one will probably get that chance. This time, Johnny Gaudreau is going to make the call himself.
update:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/27...-future-is-his
Quote:
"She's my mother and I know what she wants for me, but ultimately it's going to come down to my decision and she knows that and she is really supportive of that with me, as well."
Quote:
"Right now, I'm just worrying about BC. No real set decision yet of what I'm going to do," Gaudreau said. "My mom is really concerned about my degree and me getting stronger and having a senior year and stuff like that. But, I mean, I don't know how much is left here. I've played here for three years and I've had a great three years here so far and I enjoy my time here.

"Senior year would be fun, but I'm not sure if I'll get better at hockey but I'd definitely get a lot stronger in the weight-room.

"It's a decision that I need to make pretty soon."

And make no mistake, it's his decision.

Mom means well, but this is up to Johnny.

"Ultimately, it's going to come down to what I think is best for me," Gaudreau said. "I have my mom telling me what she thinks I should do. I have advisers and family members and everyone telling me what they think I should do and what they think is best for me, but it's going to come down to what I think is best for me and what's best for my hockey career."

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-27-2014 at 10:33 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: