View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:
Default Calgary Real Estate predictions?

I know that I'm not the only one on the board with more than one property, so I'm always kind of interested to see what people think about the market and where they think it might be headed.

I just had a look at the CREB website, and it looks like inventories are dropping (at least from where they were last year) with sales remaining fairly steady. Home prices still seem to be increasing, although on a lot of property I have seen it seems like people are reducing their list prices and are more willing to deal than they were at this time last year.

So.....I'm curious what some of the others on the board think? Double digit increases this year? Single digit? Reductions? I would have though that we would see a fairly moderate increase (3-5%) in avg home prices, but it seems that even with the "market correction" last summer we still had a 10% increase. Is that a sign of a strong market, or a strong start to '07 and a weak finish? Have we hit the bottom of the correction yet?

I'm thinking that this spring we may see a moderate gain, and then nothing at all the rest of the year. The 10% increase over the last 12 months IMO was a product of a 30% increase last spring, and then a 20% decrease over the course of the rest of the year as people were dumping properties, or cashing out and moving elsewhere. I'm also thinking the slowdown in the US might have something to do with it as well.

Anyone else want to take a stab at it?